Bonnie is an early-career teaching and research academic within the School of Human Sciences (Exercise & Sport Science) at the University of Western Australia (UWA). In addition to her academic role, she also maintains a clinical service role as a Senior Exercise Physiologist at Fremantal Hospital Mental Health Service, and as the Founding Director of Thriving Exercise Rehabiliation Inc.
She is heavily involved in the teaching and training of postgraduate students working towards the attainment of accreditation as Exercise Physiologists (allied health), and is active within the exercise and health industry holding a number of industry roles.
Bonnie coordinates and teaches across units related to Clinical Exercise Physiology at both an Undergraduate and Postgraduate level including:
- Exercise Rehabilitation for Chronic & Complex Conditions 1 & 2 (incl cancer, pulmonary, severe mental illness, osteoporosis, dementia)
- Clinical Exercise Physiology Industry Practice & Work Integrated LEarning
- Advanced Exercise Rehabilitation
- Neurological Rehabiliation
Roles and responsibilities
Lecturer - School of Human Sciences (Exercise & Sports Science)
Senior Exercise Physiologist - Fremantle Hospital Mental Health Service, South Metro Health Service
Director - Thriving Inc 'Building strong + healthy young people through exercise'
Exercise as therapy for physical and mental health outcomes in children and young people incl.
- Thriving Families - family-based education program to support children and their families to engage with community-based physical activity initiatives
- Exercise for children with neurodevelopmental, emotional and/or behavioural disorders
- Development of pre-exercise screen system for children and young people
Exercise for the treatment and management of mental health disorders incl.
- Exercise for young people with substance youth disorders
- Embedding exercise physiology within hospital based mental health services
- Exercise as therapy to improve the treatment and health outcomes of young people with mental health disorders
- Exercise in the management of compensable psychological injuries
- STRIDE - on campus exercise intervention for students experiencing mental health challenges
- Wellness in Stem Cell Transplant
Senior Exercise Physiologist15 Jan 2019 → …
Research expertise keywords
- Exercise physiology
- Mental health and well-being
- Exercise rehabilitation
- Cancer survivorship
- Mental illness
- Children's physical activity
- Adolescent substance use